Gwynfil was first built in 1760 for a community of Calvinistic Methodists founded in 1735. The church has strong links with Daniel Rowland, curate of Llangeitho and one of the founders of Welsh Methodism. The chapel was rebuilt or modified in 1764, 1813 and 1861-3. Outside the chapel is a marble statue of Rowland.
Today, a weekly service is held at 10am or 5pm on Sunday.